Friday, December 01, 2006

I will exterminate the Arts Coucil

Alun Pugh's ambition to control public arts funding was dealt a blow this week. A review by Elan Closs Stephens, commissioned by the Assembly after a defeat for the minority administration, said Mr Pugh should temper his ambition.
It proposes a "dual-key strategy board". It's the classic Welsh solution to a problem - form a committee.
Mr Pugh has had an unbelievable amount of flack about this. So when I found myself sat next to him at the ITV Wales politics award on Wednesday night I asked him for a scoop. What was he going to do with the Stephens report?
He responded by putting his hands behind his head and, in the voice of a Dalek, said: "I will exterminate the Arts Council, I will exterminate the Arts Council." Almost put me off my dinner.

No comments: